1 Kilo lean beef stew meat(goulash), cut into 1-inch cubes.Dry the meat before it’s cooked
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1\2 tsp ground black pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons tomato paste+ 8 tablespoons of water
1 1/2 cups of guinness
1 cup of beef stock
1 celery chopped stalk
2 cups chopped carrot
2 bay leaves
1\4 cup brown sugar
1 1\2 tsp paprika
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Toss the beef cubes with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Dredge the beef in this to coat.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef, and brown on all sides. Add the onions, and garlic. Stir the tomato paste with the water to dilute; pour into the pan and stir to blend. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Pour 1/2 cup of the beer into the pan with the stock, and as it begins to boil, scrape any bits of food from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. This adds a lot of flavor to the broth. Pour in the rest of the beer, and add the carrots, celery, brown sugar, bay leaves and thyme . Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or transfer to heated crock pot, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley. serve with mashed potatoes!
F.Y.I if you want to add potatoes to the stew, add more salt and pepper!
Most people who love steak have a debate on how to season and prepare it. Do you marinate or just salt and pepper? In a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven or on the grill and well rested.
Anyway because I love steak so mush, I do it both ways!
So here is my steak marinade recipe for 1 kilo of steaks:
- 4 tbls canola oil
- 3 tbls Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 onion diced finely
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
Mix well and let the steak marinade for minimum 4 hours up to 24.
Before cooking, take out the steak and clean it of from the excess pieces(the garlic and onion) and let the meat reach up to room temp before preparing. why you ask? Find out on my next blog post.
A great refreshing lebanese salad, good for any meal. You can add pomegranates, feta cheese or whatever you want to this salad and it will still taste great. (if you’re in a hurry, you can swap out the bulgar for couscous)
- 1 cup of bulgar
- 2 tomatoes finely diced
- 1 cucmber finely diced
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbls mint finely chopped
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups water
- Boil the bulgar in the 2 cups of water. Cooked until soft.
- Place the bulgar in a mixing bowl and let cool down for 10 minutes.
- Add to the bowl all the vegetables, herbs , lemon juice, olive oil and spices, and mix well until the flavors blend.
- Add what else you want to the salad and serve cold.
You can make this on the stove top and it is a quick and delicious recipe:
For the chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 1 1\2 kilo schnitzel
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
For the filling
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 6 mushrooms finely diced
- A bunch of parsley
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place a frying pan on high with the oil and add the onions. Once they are translucent add the mushrooms and parsley and cook until the mushrooms are done.
2. Lay out the chicken breasts and spice with the salt and pepper. Place about 1-2 Tablespoons of stuffing in each piece of chicken. You can seal them up either with toothpicks or cooking string.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Cook garlic in oil on high until tender. Place the stuffed chicken breasts in the pan and cook about 5 minutes on each side.
4. Drain the oil from the pan. Sprinkle chicken with paprika and 1 cup brown sugar. Pour red wine around chicken. Cover, and simmer about 10 to 15 minutes, while lightly basting the chicken with the wine sauce while cooking. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle the leftover parsley over the chicken. Serve immediately with rice or whatever you like!
Short ribs are a great cut of beef. In Israel they go by Asado. The way to cook them is low and slow, and the result is a tender, juicy, succulent piece of meat. The way I make them here is a 2 stage process. Because most of us don’t own smoking devices in our back yard, here’s how I do it. Start in the oven and finish on the grill. It is able to cook through in the oven, and gets that smokiness from the finish on the grill. So, here we go! The dry rub here can go on any piece of meat you like too so make a batch and save for later use!( also great on potatoes)
Cooking time: 2 1\2 hours in the oven, 10 minutes on the grill
For the dry rub for the ribs:
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1\2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1\2 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- BBQ sauce of your choice
- 1-1 1\2 kilos of short ribs, connected in 1 piece
How to cook:
Before anything gets done, the meat needs to be room temperature to get an even cook. That is the iron rule with any piece of meat!
- Turn oven on 150c\300f, and place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dry rub together and sprinkle on the ribs. Coat generously. (At this point, you can roast the ribs immediately, but for the best flavor and texture, refrigerate them for up to 24 hours.)
- Place ribs in the oven in a roasting tin, cover with foil for 2 1\2 hours in the oven.
- After 2 hours of cooking turn on your bbq on 175c\350f.
- After 2 1\2 hours remove from the oven and transfer to the bbq.
- Slather the ribs with bbq sauce on both sides and grill for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the ribs and let it rest for 10 minutes and then serve!